About School Improvement
The Office of School Improvement supports and facilitates efforts in all schools to increase student achievement by providing quality teaching; assisting schools in developing, implementing, and monitoring school improvement plans; building the capacity of local schools to support effective leadership at all levels; and providing professional learning to design and support meaningful student work. In addition, the Office of School Improvement coordinates a statewide system of support for all Georgia schools and provides resources and intensive support for schools not making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP).
Alternative Education Program and Magnet Schools
Needs Improvement Schools and Statewide System of Support
- Alternative Education Program - Program designed to provide some program flexibility at the local level for students in grades 6-12 who are more likely to succeed in a nontraditional setting.
- Provides a statewide system of support and coordinates the work of the following agencies: Georgia Department of Education, Regional Educational Service Agencies (RESAs), Georgia Learning Resources System (GLRSs), Education Technology Centers (ETCs), the SACS/CASI Partnership, and college and university representatives to provide support for all Georgia schools through regional support and training.
- Coordinates the monthly meetings and work of the five (5) Regional Support Teams (RSTs) across the state to plan, implement, and monitor the work of the Statewide System of Support in providing direct services to schools based on identified areas of academic need.
- Provides a school improvement specialist in each Title I school at Needs Improvement Levels 1-11.
- Provides training to schools in the Georgia Keys to Quality.
- Provides mandated and voluntary GAPSS reviews to Georgia schools.
- Coordinates support and conducts reviews of school systems in Needs Improvement status.
- Provides graduation support to middle and high schools.
Teacher and Leader Effectiveness
- Provides leadership, technical assistance, resources, and consultative services to the Georgia education community in order to improve student learning through organizational development and professional learning (staff development).
- Professional Learning Unit Credits (PLUs)
- Application and Credit Program Approval (Comprehensive Plan for PLU Credit)
- Impacts student achievement by providing programs and resources to enhance teacher and leader effectiveness that include the following: Title II, Part A grant awards, CLASS Keys and Leader Keys evaluation systems.